Friday, September 26, 2014

The little annoyances in life...

Well, well, well, the fun has started. Pick up by the driver was smooth...traffic to the airport was smooth...check in was smooth...THEN...

We sat and waited... and Delta calls...never a good sign.

Our flight from SFO to LAX is cancelled...the next one is later... means we miss our connection to JFK...which means we miss our connections to Dublin.

They put us on an AirLingus (Irish airline) direct from SFO to Dublin.  HOWEVER, it is 9:30 AM and the flight leaves at 5:20 PM...

So what to do?  We had to go back to Delta, get our bags, go to the international terminal which was no easy feat, and we are sitting in little sidewalk cafe watching the people from all over the world.

BUT don't get excited yet.  I promised you drama from Ronald...he delivered.

When he had to exit the secure area to go to the Delta desk, he took nothing but his boarding passes...and since they put us on another airline, they took the passes from him.  All he had was his charisma to get him back through security again and that didn't work.  They said, Nope...gotta do better than that.

The security guard suggested he call me...and I came running like the dutiful little wife.  We then went to baggage claim to pick up our luggage from Delta to begin our TEN hour wait for aerLingus flight to Dublin, Ireland.  The day was boring...they say started by AirFrance strike...

Then we get to the aerLingus ticket counter only to find we are STANDBY and the panic starts.  We go through all kinds of scenarios in our mind.  We don't even have our car!  We took a limo there because parking at Park and Fly and the limo were essentially the same price.

At 4:30 they started calling the standbys ... #1, not us.    #2, not us.  BUT the last couple allowed on the plane was indeed US!  
Then I start worrying, Is this plane going to crash? and we shouldn't be on it...because that is how my mind works.

But we are in Dublin, Ireland now and things are good.  We are staying at an incredible hotel, the Merrion, in central Dublin.  Life is good.































asses back to Delta ticketing to solve the problem.  They take away his boarding passes since he is no longer on their flights and gave him an itinerary of the new flight on Air Lingus ... AND he can't get back through security! He begged and said my wife is down there...but they said, NOPE NOPE ... A THOUSAND TIMES, NOPE.

Stay tuned for our next adventure.  But I did ask Ron if Ireland was bombing Syria (you know, like ISIS would retaliate) and he said, No, but I do feel better not flying out of NYC.  Good point.

1 comment:

  1. Oh in I did not get to hear the rest of the story. Now I am curious to find out how you got where Ron left you with all the luggage to the other terminal with Ron. I know you are together now but waiting to find out how you found out!! Quite a start for your vacation. The phone call dropped and I tried to call back but it went to voice mail.

    ReplyDelete