My observations...
So far, I am in love with Ireland.
But Europe is not in love with America. We have been to many places all over Europe, and they think we are crass, stuck up, snobby, and think we are all that...in one package.
...and observing Americans traveling, we are...well, not WE in the sense of me and Ron. We have traveled enough not to be those things. We have noted that if you talk to waiters, store clerks, drivers of hop on hop off buses, people working in museums...that the world might get a better perspective of Americans. America is a great country, but it is not THE ONLY GREAT country in the world...there are many...and every person is proud of his country. Tourists need to realize that. Ron and I consider up selves travelers...not tourists...there is a difference.
A tourist is one who sees the sights; a traveler is one who gets immersed in the culture, finds out what the people are like, experience the country. Now i can no longer be the backpacking traveler that I wish I had been on my youth..but we love traveling...well, sometimes I have to tell Ron he does. A friend said she will never regret any money spent on travel...she will never say, Oh, gee, I should have bought that couch instead of traveling to Italy.
We were hooked at age 27 when the government sent Ron to Italy for several weeks and I tagged along. OK, off my soapbox...
No comments:
Post a Comment