Thursday, October 2, 2014

Good evening from Killarney, Ireland...

What a day!

We ate breakfast at the hotel...pancakes, yogurt, fruit, tea, and OJ.
...and bacon.  Bacon is pan fried ham, not like American bacon.  I like it;  Ron does not.

So we left The Granville Hotel in Waterford...just as two tour buses pulled in.

Our first stop toward Killarney was Dungarven, unplanned but we stopped because we could.  We weren't on the tour bus.  It is a quaint little town on the coast with a castle dating back to the 12th century.  We parked the car and decided we are a magnet for little old lonely men.  One stopped Ron as soon as he parked the car and asked him about it...said he was considering a car and has looked at this one.  They talked for a while about the car while I walked across the street and took pictures.  Surprised?

We left him and walked a block or two to the castle...and lo and behold,  another little old lonely man with a shihtzu stopped to talk to me...and I talked to the man about dogs and the castle.  The castle is a short stubby small castle with several round towers on the corners.  Well kept...

I was so thirsty by then, so we stopped in a pub for a drink.  I had a fizzy orange kind of like an Orangina which I fell love with on a train through France years ago.  Half OJ and half carbonated water....very refreshing..

Next stop was Kinsale because we could.  But riding through the tow of tiny narrow one lane street that doubled as a two way street, Ron panicked and freaked out.  We found a parking lot just outside the main shopping area and walked around...to a church...with an old cemetery of moss covered vaults, old old tombstones...and we learned that people a long time ago in the 12th century like the Norsemen sharpened their swords on the stone frames of the doors...deep grooves were cut in the right side stones, but not as many were on the left...which means there have always been more right handed people than left.

Then we found Fishy Fishy Cafe recommended by Rick Steves...and had fish and chips...we might be done with fish and chips.

Then the scary part started...we rode on the scariest roads I have ever been on...roads  that were basically a lane and a half, so,w with no markings, but the s arises thing was there were no shoulders and the 15-20 foot hedges grew right up to the road and sometimes on it.  Ron ran me into them on the left several times...and OK, I screamed.  Ancient stone rock walls also came up to the edge of the road with no shoulders...bushes bend...rock walls don't.  I might have screamed more.

After a long way, we finally came to what we thought was a freeway....nope, a two lane road, but this time with lines and a shoulder about a foot wide and lines on the edges of the road as well as in the middle, something we didn't always have on the other roads during the day.

So when we checked in tonight at the Brehon in Killarney, the desk asked Ron how his day was and he said, Scary!

So good night...We are doing easy things tomorrow and The Ring of Kerry is Saturday...stay tuned.

I miss my little baby girl.



No comments:

Post a Comment